There are many areas popular with the GLBT community in Halifax. Below you will find a sampling of such locations.
Hanging out is one of many ways of MeetingPeople.
- these need dates
- The info here should be merged with the historical part of GayBars.
In the '60s
Lord Nelson Hotel ca. 1940
- The PeppermintLounge on Barrington near Duke
- The VictoryLounge? (street level at the Lord Nelson)
- JackWestsPinkFlamingo? restaurant in Bayers Road Plaza: KirbyGeddes? says it used to be a sort of place for gay men to meet, around 1954-1970.
In the '70s
- The DresdenArms
- The JuryRoom: popular hangout since at least 1969. In 1977 the management began barring g/l patrons. The community, led by GaeGala, demonstrated by holding sit-ins and picketing in May of that year. The Jury Room would continue to be contested ground well into the 1980s.
- The GardenViewRestaurant
- The Stockade near Windsor and Almon St... DanielMacKay says in 2002, "Where 'Nice Nights' Chinese Restaurant is, I think."
- Alma's Restaurant, in the basement of the GreenLantern building
- The LobsterTrap
- The CameoLounge; the GAE crowd hung out in the coffee shop of the Lord Nelson Hotel beside the Public Gardens. We often went there after meetings.
- ApolloBath from the 1970s to 2005.
In the 80s
In the 2000s
This page is part of the HistoryProject.