Gay Health concerns usually focus around STDs:
- Bacterial: Syphilis, Gonorrhea Gonorrhoea (USA spelling: gonorrhea, slang term "the clap"), Chlamydia, Chancroid, non-gonococcal urethritis/NGU
- Viral: AIDS(Human Immunodeficiency Virus/HIV), Herpes /HSV (Herpes simplex virus), Human papillomavirus (aka HPV - causes genital warts), Cytomegalovirus, Hepatitis, Molluscum contagiosum
- Parasites: Pubic lice (Phthirius pubis), Scabies (Sarcoptes scabiei)
- Fungal: Candidiasis (thrush) (Candida albicans) is not strictly an STD but can be transmitted through sexual contact
- Protozoal: Amoebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica), Giardiasis (Giardia lamblia), Trichomoniasis (Trichomonas vaginalis)
Where to get tested anonymously
- PrideHealth: anonymous testing and primary health care services for the GLBTI community.
- Mainline Needle Exchange, 5511 Cornwallis St, Halifax, 902-423-9991
- Phoenix Center for Youth, 6035 Coburg Rd, Halifax, 902-420-0676
- Atlantic First Nations Task Force on AIDS, 2164 Gottingen St, Halifax, 902-492-4255
Non-anonymous testing for STIs is available at the StdClinic.
This page is part of the HealthCategory.