The Company House
Another bar and queer-friendly space in Halifax. The Company House at 2202 Gottingen Street (just a few doors down from MenzBar) opened in January 2009. MaryAnnDaye? owns and manages this acoustic music venue showcasing musicians, both emerging and established, from the local area and all over North America.
TCH will also be a community space welcoming visual artists and other groups wishing to host events in the space; from fundraisers to book readings. The Company Host will host its first lesbian wedding on August 8!
Daily Specials - Come and check out TCH at 'tweener hour from 5pm to 7pm Wed to Sat.
For events at The Company House, look for events on the Events Page marked with this logo, or to be notified of events, join the FaceBook group.
In an article from The Coast's ShopTalk on December 22, 2008:
- Halifax is a music city. Some say it's the Atlantic Ocean, others believe it's the endless winters, the source or reason doesn't matter to MaryAnnDaye?. She just hopes to foster it with The Company House.
- "My official deadline is to be open for the In the Dead of Winter Festival (January 27-31)," says Daye. "Music is first for me, as there is a lack of good spaces for live acoustic, singer-songwriter to perform. I know a lot of musicians and they are just crying out for somewhere to play. I want to make that happen."
- Construction is well underway at The Company House, formerly home of The Galleria, as many local artists, including: Jenn Grant, Don Brownrigg, TanyaDavis?, Daniel Ledwell and Kev Corbett have all got their hands dirty.
- As you enter the building the bar is to the right of the spacious venue, a corner stage is elevated to the left, but it's the deep red painted walls that should tug at heartstrings. The deep shade is reminiscent of the walls of the legendary KhyberClub, formerly operated by Daye's partner and In the Dead of Winter founder HeatherGibson?, which was abruptly forced to close in February 2006.
- "There has been an amazing outpouring of support from the community that wants to be a part of this," she says. "Everything that's happening in this area, Gottingen is going to be what it once was – the main drag in Halifax."
This article is about one of the many ArtsVenues in Halifax.