On April 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM, closing time, RaymondTaavel and an unnamed friend leave MenzAndMollyz and began walking south. Shortly after there was a verbal assault -- "FAGGOT!" said one eyewitness.
An eyewitness describes a large man, about 260lbs who attacked the two smaller men. Another reports that Raymond got between his friend and the attacker, who then turned on him. The friend managed to run away while Raymond's head was pounded repeatedly into the pavement.
MenzAndMollyz owner DougMelanson says that the Halifax Police responded immediately, were respectful, and treated everyone with dignity; the canine unit quickly found 32-year-old Andre Noel Denny in a nearby alley.
Denny heading for appearance at provincial court in Halifax to face charges of second degree murder, April 2012. (Photo: Herald staff)
- Denny born
- Denny diagnosed with schizophrenia, a paranoid subtype, coupled with a substance abuse problem, Nova Scotia Supreme Court documents show.
- September 1, 2009 & 2
- Denny charged with causing "unnecessary injury" to a dog, possession of stolen property (the dog), uttering a death threat to his neighbours and breach of probation, while in Eskasoni.
- Denny tasered by police when he was arrested after a seven-hour standoff at Membertou. At that time he was charged with aggravated sexual assault of a woman, uttering threats and unlawfully confining her.
- April 17, 2012
- Denny had not returned to the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Dartmouth after a one-hour leave that afternoon. RaymondTaavel was murdered that evening.
- April 18, 2012
- Denny appeared in court and on the same day, there was an announcement that there would be a review of Denny's release.
- June 19, 2012
- Denny's psychiatric report delayed until August
- August 8, 2012
- Denny's psychiatric report further delayed until September 20, 2012
- November 27, 2012
- Denny's assesment is finished but is kept secret. "Mr. Denny has the right to a fair trial and discussing that report would disclose a fair amount of evidence." Defence lawyer DonMurray? has not made any move to contest Denny’s fitness to stand trial. ChronicleHerald article here
- February 19, 2013
- Preliminary hearing postponed; Denny has fired lawyer Don Murray. At the beginning of the hearing, Murray questioned the mental health of his client. Judge Bill Digby put the matter off until March 19, 2013. Crown attorney Darrell Martin told reporters that he “Has some concerns about whether or not (Denny) is fit” to stand trial. “Fitness is something that is dynamic,” he explained. “We have no evidence that (Denny) is not fit other than what he has said in court today.”
- March 19, 2013
- Murray said he met with Denny and Denny’s family Monday, and agreed to take the case once again. The dates of Denny’s preliminary inquiry have now been set for July 8 – 10.
- April 20, 2013
- Raymond's family - commonlaw partner DarrenLewis?, mother Suzanne Blatter and brother Andre Taavel launches a lawsuit against Capital Health & the province. Represented by Halifax lawyer Aaron Ward.