This is a collaborative work in wiki format. That means that you create and improve articles. If you can add some facts to an article, please hit the Edit this page link at the bottom of the page. If you know facts about something, and can't find it in the Encyclopedia, please write it!
This Encyclopedia strives to present history in a Neutral Point Of View. You can read about this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
You may want to read:
Don't worry about messing up stuff. The system keeps every version of every page, and changes get reviewed by one of the GayHalifax editors. It's very easy to fix boo-boos.
Editing Existing Pages
You will probably want to experiment with formatting and editing before you work on any established articles. That's what the sandbox is for. Visit WikiSandBox, hit the Edit button, play, preview, save, anything you want.
You should sign your work. Create your own page in MyFirstNameMyLastName (BumpyText) format. If you're a regular contributor, add your name to the list in GayHalifax.
To edit something:
- click the Edit button at the bottom of the page,
- answer the "captcha" question,
- edit the text. Make a very brief summary in the "What did you change" box at the bottom.
- Preview the article before you save. Finally,
- Click the Save button.
- You can re-edit to fix links that you didn't get right or reword your work. Do it as often as you want.
Creating New Pages
- Think about the name of your page. You need to write it in BumpyText -- two or more capitalized words run together without spaces, e.g. SandBox. How will your page name be used? If an organization starts with The or A, like The Turret, include it in the page name.
- Edit an existing page and find an appropriate place to mention your new page name.
- Write some text around your new page's name so that people can decide if its relevant to them.
- Save that and revisit it as in the Edit section above.
- Your new page name will display with a quill after it. Click on that to edit your new page.
- If the picture is on line somewhere, just include the URL that ends with .jpg or .gif.
- If it's not, mail your pictures to one of the editors listed in GayHalifax.
Security is done using the standard wiki method. Don't worry about it; it's part of WhyWikiWorks.