About this page
There are two ways to use this page:
- Read to-do items that have been placed here.
- Click on the title of the page (between this text and the logo) to do a search for all pages which include this page's name. Each of those pages has some "to do" item on it.
Feb 2002 - May 2003: DanielMacKay, RossBoutilier and IanCrowe agree to do a Wayves index, including advertisements.
25 Mar 2002, DebTrask?: TRASKDE@gov.ns.ca says: "Quite a bit has been done on this, some time ago. I have some material. I remember LynnMurphy doing research some time ago, and also my brother TonyTrask? back in the mid-70s did some 'oral history' interviews - will think on this some more!"
March 24, 2002, MissVicki says to DanielMacKay, "You can interview me for some stories about CondonsBar!!"
March 25 2002, TerryGoodwin, pers. corr to DanielMacKay, will forward my note to some friends who might want to help.
- document existing history items and ensure their preservation
- index existing history items, make that publicly available
- make a priority list of missing pieces
- make [copies of] existing history items available to the general public
July 2002, CandraSmith? suggests history in the form of a timeline. March 2004: DanielMacKay writes: this is easy to do in a fun-to-read narrative using links to already-written pages.
July 17 2002 History Club Meeting
- OscarWilde in Halifax Page - he stayed at the WaverleyInn - what did he do while he was here?
- Gay TourOfHalifax
- Oral History Project
- Writing Gay History / Using the Wiki Workshop; plan for the Fall; promote with article in Wayves, word of mouth, a flyer in the bars, letter out to the Over 30s club.
- Request things from people that are older than 1978.
- Write the story of the Murder In CampHillCemetery, 1979 or '80. DONE.
- Write the story of the Sit-In in the JuryRoom
- Late Nov, early Dec - invite people for a wine and cheese and telling stories.
- History of United Church becoming affirming - Al
- Would be interesting to gather info about The Stockade (do a search on this web system for a couple references to it.)
25 July 2002: DanielMacKay observes: the OverThirtiesGroup is probably the oldest extant group in the city; we should do some history on this - AlStewart has offered to tell stories over a beer.
24 April 2003
- RonGarnettDoucette suggests "Have you approached Dal or St. Mary's gay/lesbian organizations, there may be a student(s) that would be willing to help.
25 April 2003
- AlStewart suggests we intervew HarveyMacDonald? - can be found at St Vincent's Guest House
- AlStewart suggests we document MikeSangster? Marilyn (Lamb) For Pope campaign
- AlStewart suggests we interview former Rumours manager ScottMacNeil - works @ Trade Centre. Al has phone#
- RossBoutilier suggests: People who might help with a history project read books, and I'll bet they take courses from such people as our Mt St V. sisters.
- LesbianGayRightsNovaScotia needs a history.
- SpeakersBureau?: start with TonyTrask?
- WalterJohnson?: was he MissHalifax in the late '60s? Do interview & collect photos & ephemera. DanielMacKay has contact info.
- RedHerringBookstore carried lots of gay and lesbian books. Get its history and why it was so queer friendly.
- UniversalistUnitarianChurch: what is the history of the relationship with the gay community? DrBobFredrickson, a member, says to check with the pastor,Dr John Baros-Johnson or Roger Davies for perhaps some of the more historical elements.
- Minutes of a GamesOfAtlanticCanada meeting indicate a performance of a play by JimMacSwain on March 22, 1981. Find out what it was and what it was about.
- GALA AGM March 15 1989 minutes say, "Lesbian Conference will be held this weekend. Readings by Ann Cameron, Two Twenty Video, Workshops and more."
NilsClausson writes: Before Dave opened "TheeClub" in the GreenLantern Building, there was an earlier club on one of the streets closer to the harbour than Barrington. People I met in 1972 often talked about it. But I know no more than this.
Something could be written on The "GayGreyApartmentBuilding" on Morris Street (where Barry & Patrick, GaryWalsh, Tom Grey, Jim, Chris Sheppard & his lover all lived.)
January 2006: ThomDay's comments and questions have been moved to his own page :-)
Notes taken by DanielMacKay during EricSmith's talk on history, 2006-03-08
- Intro by PhilDugay? & PeterWalker? sec'y of dalOUt.
- Grew up in Shelburne County. Tested positive for HIV in 1986. In 1987, the community, including the parents of his students, found out he was HIV+ via an information leak from a doctor's office, and a months-long media frenzy erupted.
- do we have a page on the JuryRoom?
- add some history of how things at ApolloBath changed in the early '80s when AIDS began.
- Eric speculates that the AIDS crisis sarted lowering the tension between the masculine men and the drag queens and lesbians.
- Original name was the Gay Health Association .. morphed into Metro Area Committee on AIDS - MAC AIDS, vs NS PWA Coalition. In 1995-1996, the two organizations merged.
- Document thedevelopment of gay/straight alliances in the early '00s. Tie into other highschool groups' history
- Highlight the connection between EricSmith giving up his human rights complaint and bringing in the legislation to protect gays and hiv people as documented in the 30 years of pride document.
- when did safer sex workshops start? who started them? who taught them? I remember JJLyon. where did the materials come from?
- Gay history profs at Dal: TroyMcCallum?(sp?) CharlotteLoppie?.
- Short-lived Black AIDS project in Halifax: KimBernard?
- November 11, 2009: KevinBarlowe? mentionst that BrucePellegrin? used to run a Sex Addicts 12-step group, Wednesday evenings at AST.
- Bruce Pellegrin Art: www.pellegrin-art.com (No longer online.) website run by Gerianne B. Van Vugt
February 21, 2012: JaneKansas suggests we do an article on the [[SLURP_Party?]] series (check capitalization).
- Who, what, when, where, why; maybe scan one of the enigmatic invitations
- describe how the invitations worked
DanielMacKay writes: another interesting topic - the phenomenon of sleazy guys taking advantage of the "community" because we tend to trust quickly.
- Dan's Ken Rector story in the mid '80s: cute young guy moved to Halifax, got involved with everyone and everything, borrowed cash, took off with credit cards and computers. This one has an interesting and positive ending.
- your story here.
This page is part of the HistoryProject and is a CategoryCategory - that means, click on the name of the page at the top, right under the banner, to get an index of the pages in this category.